Do water heaters need to be serviced?
Water heaters are vital parts of any household and especially in the Wheeling winter are vital to your comfort while the wind howls and the temperatures plummet. Nobody likes having surprise cold showers, not the least in the dead of winter. However, like any part of your house, their good functioning relies on proper water heater service. This doesn’t only guarantee good service but also prolongs the life-span of any heater. Proper and timely maintenance precludes early replacement and can save a lot of money in the long run. Our specialists are ready to deal with any issues you might have and lend competent Water Heater Plumbing Repair Service in Wheeling IL and Buffalo Grove IL.
Water Heater Services price
Water Heater Services – 100.00 $
Water heater repairs
There are a number of potential issues with water heaters that can be avoided by regular check-ups, water heater repairs and service. Below you can find a list of trivial water heater issues that our specialists deal with on a daily basis. This list is not exhaustive, please contact us if you have any problems or queries about your water heater or need water heater repair service. Don’t waste time googling “water heater service near me”, just give us a call for outstanding water heater service.
- Sediment built-up, inevitably sediment will build up on the bottom of the heater. This should be flushed out to maintain efficient heating and prevent problems with clogging. Symptoms of this include a rumbling noise when the water is heating up or consistently lower water temperatures than expected.
Corrosion of anode rod. To avert the tank rusting from the inside out an anode rod is placed within the tank’s interior. Over time this rod will degrade as it performs its function, when the time comes it is cheaper and simpler to renew the anode rod than the entire tank.If you notice rust particles in your warm water it is definitely time to check this. Don’t wait too long or the water heater might already be too corroded for a new rod to make a difference.
Temperature-pressure-release valve problems, also known as a TPR valve, will prevent pressure building in the tank either from too high temperatures or pressure. In this way the tank is protected from rupturing or even potentially exploding. The valve should be regularly tested to see that it is neither too tight or too loose. If it is blocked then there might be unwanted pressure built up in the tank or if too loose the water will be drained unnecessarily which might lead to water damage.
Persistent ticking sounds, in general water heaters have in and outlets that contain a heat trap. This improves the efficiency of the heater by keeping the heat more contained in the tank. However pressure fluctuations can cause these heat traps to start producing ticking sounds. In this case switching the inlet or outlet to one without a heat trap will fix your issues. Ticking can also be caused by expanding and contracting pipes from the passage of warmer and cooler water so it is important to first identify the cause of the ticking before any action is taken.
- Tubing or pipe failure. On the bottom, the water boiler is connected with a cold water intake pipe and on the top with a hot water outlet. Problems with the pipe or tubes connecting your water heater to the rest of your plumbing can lead to leakage, flooding, and water damage. In most cases replacing the tubes or pipes will be sufficient. This might also be a moment to consider insulating your pipes to make your heater more efficient.
- Thermostat malfunction. This compound controls the water temperature in the tank. Should you remark that the water temperature is consistently lower than you want it could be that it is no longer correctly functioning.
- Heating element malfunction. The heating component of an electric water tank is a conductive metal part that heats up and transfers the broil to the water. If this compound gets covered in sediment or starts corroding, your water will not be heated. In serious cases, this part might need to be replaced.
- Pilot light/Thermocouple/Gas valve malfunction. In a gas heater, issues with the pilot light, thermocouple or gas control valve can occur. Relighting a pilot light yourself when following the correct instructions is for most people no problem, however, if you find that you simply cannot light it you might have problems with the thermocouple or the gas valve. The thermocouple discerns whether the pilot light is on or not and if it malfunctions no gas will be triggered for heating. If the gas valve is dysfunctional, this will block any gas from releasing either for heating or the pilot light.
- Lowering the overall temperature. Most water heaters are set to boil your water to 130°F and 140°F when they are installed. This can be overkill and you could save on your energy bill by having the temperature lowered to 120°F as advised by the US Department of Energy. Depending on whether your water heater is a gas or electric heater this might entangle just lowering a dial or you have to remove some panels. If you do anything to your electric heater, it is advisable to shut off power to it from the breaker to avoid any accidents.
- Sizzling sounds. A gas heater can produce sizzling sounds when condensation forms and starts dripping on the burner. Potentially this can also be an indication of internal leakage. In the case of sizzling, you should definitely contact a specialist in water heater service to look over your water boiler.
CALL US NOW FOR PLAMBING!
If you have any questions about the Sewer repair services or want to schedule them, contact our managers
and they will guide you through the intricacies of this process. Call Excellent Plumbing today!
Water heater replacement – how to know when it’s time to replace yours
Most water boilers have a life-time of about 8 to 12 years. However if your device has had multiple issues recently, it might be time to do the calculation of whether water heater replacement service is inevitable. In most cases, if your device for heating water is older than 6 years, this is a definite consideration. Another rule of thumb is the repair cost. If the water heater repair service expenses exceed half of the cost of a new heater you should consider renewing it rather than fixing it. Our experts can also advise you when it is no longer worth repairing your current water heater, this depends on the age but also the make and model. The choice is of course up to you. It is worth remembering that newer boilers are more energy efficient. They also might include advanced features that prevent breakdowns for longer. So service to replace the water heater will both save you on your energy bill and maintenance costs. If you consider replacing your heater, contact our team for Water Heater Replacement Services and they will walk you through the process of choosing a new heater that is right for your circumstances.
Natural gas water heaters
A natural gas heater has a number of advantages over an electric heater. Normally the water is heated faster than when using an electric system. In most areas, natural gas prices are lower than electricity prices when it comes to warming your water. Importantly in case of a power outage you warm water isn’t reliant on the grid and natural gas generally keeps flowing. Consider ahead if you want to work with a model with a pilot light this will require a constant gasflow and might add to your bills. It is however important to remember that you need to have a gas line to your heater, installation of a gas line or moving the gas pipes might increase the installation costs. Given the actual regulations and the heater model, a vent system will also be required.
Electric water heater
An electric heater is customarily easier to install and will tend to be overall more energy-efficient however it will also work slower. It is generally safer than a gas-operated system but if there is a power outage it will cease to function. The calorifier installation tends to be also less complicated since electricity is generally easily accessible throughout the house. Lastly, if the bills are a big concern for you, you might consider installing solar panels if your house is right for it. This will cut down on your electric bill substantially.
To have an optimal experience with your water boiler, regular sustenance is key. Preventing breakdowns and issues is not only cheaper than fixing them, this also prevents surprise cold showers. Ask your technician after installation how often your heater needs to be inspected and will work out a routine maintenance schedule that is right for you.
The price of water heater service consists of the hourly rate for our technicians and any potential replacement parts that the heater requires. Our technicians are trained and certified to work with different models and will lend excellent water heater service. This might be a little more than a bargain you find online. However, quality counts and we guarantee quality. Remember that if a tank is still under warranty, the manufacturer will step in for some of the water heater repair service costs.
Get in Touch
Get A Free Quote